Saturday, June 28, 2014

Introduction

Hello!  I'm Amanda, and I'm new at Kew.  This summer I'm working on an internship with the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew in the hardy display section.  This includes features like the order ("plant family") beds and grass garden. I'll be learning what techniques the hardy display team uses to maintain the beds at a standard of excellence, while respecting the history and mission of the site. 

This blog was created as a way to both share my experiences at Kew and to fulfill a weekly internship requirement.  At the end of each work week, I'll share what tasks we worked on that week, and how and why we did them.  I am one of seven interns, and the only intern from the United States.  This summer's group is really diverse, including people from Brazil, Italy, France, Spain, and the United Kingdom.

My internship experience was funded in a large part by the Botanical Research Institute of Texas' Ian Leese Fellowship in Horticulture.  Without their financial assistance, this trip would not have been possible.  I'd also like to thank the University of Tennessee Gardens, the Knoxville Botanical Garden & Arboretum, and "Every Child Outdoors" Knoxville for donating t-shirts for me to work in.  Finally, I'd like to thank you for joining me on this adventure by following my blog!

If you have any questions, comments, ideas or suggestions, please feel welcome to post a comment or to send me an email.

Visitors enter the Elizabeth Gate to begin their journey into the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew


No comments:

Post a Comment